Saturday, October 23, 2010

Orahovica, I will miss you

We're headed to the US of A in just a few days.  Maybe it's the fall weather leaving me with some nostalgia.  Maybe it's the fact that I feel more at home here everyday.  No matter what, there's a lot I'll miss about Orahovica Croatia.  Here are the top 5:

5. The bakery.  Fresh baked rolls for 50 cents.  Bakers who smile pleasantly when I make a mistake in Croatian because they've been part of the learning process with me.  Burek s mesom.  You will be missed. 

4. The scenery.  I know, I know.   I'm headed back to New England and the fall foliage will be fantastic.  But the horses, the river and the beauty of the foothills of Orahovica are tough to leave behind. 

3. Baseball.  "Are you kidding me?" you may ask.  "The World Series starts the day you get to the States and you're complaining about leaving baseball behind?"  Last Sunday we played our best game yet.  These teens and kids have come a long way since we started 3 years ago.  Can't wait for spring BOK!

2. Our church.  The other day we were talking to someone in the States about our sending church.  Turns out, even though we're considered missionaries, our sending church is right here in Orahovica.  They pray for us.  They support us.  They've cared for us tremendously.  We'll miss the corporate worship with Betanija church while we're gone. 

1. Our friends.  Whenever you leave a place, it's always the people you miss most.  No exception here. 

Orahovico, falit' ćeš me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh duuuuuude... I love you. YOUR HEART IS HERE. I am lovin' it.