Thursday, January 1, 2009

Unresolved

Neither my wife nor I have ever failed in our new years resolutions. Nor have we ever made any. But this year my wife has promised to turn over a new leaf. I'll let her share that with you if she cares to start a blog or you care to ask her.

For my part, I'm not a big fan of new years resolutions. Is there any bigger set-up for failure than being coerced into making a commitment on one - and only one -particular day of the year? Add to that all your friends who make their promises and break them, or the past years you've broken your resolution and you've got a recipe for failure.

But I do like the idea of change, improvement and resolve. There's something honorable about quitting or beginning a habit that will consequently make you more disciplined or less selfish. Commitment is something our culture lacks and is therefore all the more valuable.

So I am going to make a resolution. And I've got a few ideas. But I'm not going to rush to a hasty decision. I'll wait 'til I'm good and ready. Maybe it'll be January 15th, maybe February 28th. We'll see.

No comments: