Friday, February 20, 2009

Closing the Eyes of Humility

"Christian humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less."

So says C.S. Lewis.

And Timothy Keller capitalizes on the quote in his recent piece in Christianity Today - "The Advent of Humility". "Humility is a byproduct of belief in the gospel of Christ," he says.

Ever since I first read this article two months ago it's been in the back of my head. There's probably a good reason for that. My latest battle has been trying to fully understand the truth of Christ's humility while also realizing the necessity of self-confidence and vision in ministry. Are the two exclusive or can they be combined?

I believe spiritual growth throughout my life has occurred most when I've sensed the drastic dichotomy between my sin and God's grace . And that's where humility enters the scene. It's not when we try to evoke or stir it up in ourselves as Keller notes: "To even ask the question, 'Am I humble?' is to not be so". Our humility springs naturally from our realization of who Christ is.

Shouldn't our worship be directed upwards?

Our service is aimed towards the people in our congregation or the members of our community - certainly out of obedience, but horizontal nontheless. Do our eyes too often look to them for aproval, or praise, maybe even admiration?

It's the times when I close my eyes, go to the cross and try to grasp how deep the the Savior's love is for us that my need for outside approval diminishes.

And rather than limiting my sight, focusing upward only increases the scope of my vision outward.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WELL SAID.
Luther is the one who describes the depth of our sinfulness the most...

Laci

Jeremy said...

Perhaps I should read more from this Luther guy! Tim Keller quotes him a few times in the article.

Anonymous said...

yeah. although he is "totally irrelevant" in Church History, he had some good thoughts. :)